Game Design – Week 7 – Tools, Time, and Rooms

CreativeCommons image Tool Stash by Meena Kadri at Flickr.com

SUMMARY

• The idea of timing yourself and watching what you are doing and learning is great I love it, I haven’t seen it done in this way before. Also the whole thing of the Minimum Viable Product was mind blowing I never thought about it before but it makes so much sense.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

1. Unity, Brackeys Unity Tutorials Playlist
  2. The channel name is Brackeys, and the tutorials look really nice and easy to follow I have watched the first two out of 63, the first ten videos are of a series he calls How to Make a Game which he takes you through making a game together as a follow along project, the rest of the videos are different assortment of tutorial videos to help with some of the aspects of unity or to help with different game creation things.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

• I understand the process and the reasoning behind scoping down your game, sure you want all this great aspects and content and interesting things but those will just seem out of place if you can’t get off the ground. You want to have a solid footing before you start running otherwise you are going to fall flat on your face. So take it easy find out what is needed seems simple but I think there are people that will have problems with this, I’m not saying they won’t get through it but it’s a concept that some people may struggle with seeing as they have to think smaller not bigger, and that can be hard when designing a game. The minimum viable product is something that I haven’t really thought of before but know it makes sense, you can’t expect to make a game with all the bells and whistles if you have nothing to attach them too. So you have to start of small, okay makes sense get the most basic things you need and start testing, but the main problem here is what is needed? What is the most basic things your game needs, and that from what I can tell depends on the type of game and what you want to get out of it on the most basic level you can do.

Game Genres from the Simplest and Most Difficult to Create

1. Racing Game
  2. Top-Down Shooter
  3. 2d Platformer
  4. Color Matching Puzzle Game
  5. 2D Puzzle Platformer
  6. 3D Platformer
  7. FPS
  8. JRPG
  9. Fighting Game
  10. Action Adventure
  11. Western RPG
  12. RTS

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• So you first want to observe while you play, learn while you enjoy. Makes sense I tend to try and explain things to people that I like so that they can understand why I like it and may come to like it myself. I like the concept of having to play a lot of games to understand games because it seems kind of stupid to play one game lets say WoW for example and then say “I understand games,” because that in itself isn’t realistic. But all in all it makes sense you want to learn from the things you enjoy but you can’t just through aside the things you don’t enjoy. One thing I would probably add to this is other peoples criticism and view points, find why you agree with some and why you disagree with others, also try to find out why some people may like something or not like something.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• My Life Today: I woke up in the early sun rays to find out the my arch-nemesis Ther’mo (like thur in thursday and mow) had set obstacles in my way so that I couldn’t get the the Me’ga (like may and ga from gatcha) I have to work tiresly till the sun is falling from the sky working with Rk’wo to get things done in time.

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

• 2D Platformer: The goal is to of course platform your way across the levels to collect the pieces of Me’ga while dodging and defeating the evil minions of Ther’mo to restore peace to the land of Om’ro D’be, with the help of Rk’wo Me’hos, special abilities and power ups.
  • JRPG: Choose from a wide variety of classes and sub-classes to make your own combination, travel the world and find out the secrets behind the Dark Horizon. Level up, gain skills and level up those skills, find new and powerful gear. The main thing I would want to accomplish is a huge variety of classes and sub-classes for more diverse character creation and letting players build how they want to play their character. To give more information on the idea, I have always wanted to play a game that had the diversity of classes and sub-classes that the anime Log Horizon has in the game the characters they get stuck in.
  • Puzzle Adventure RPG: It will work like a RPG but you can’t get through all your problems by beating them down or head on, you will have to find secrets and think outside of the box to find ways to solve the problems in-front of you. Things may not be what they seem right off the bat. The puzzles shouldn’t be too hard but there should be some that are challenging, but the player needs to be able to find some in-game clues on how to solve the puzzles so they aren’t just sitting there guessing. Of course there is still combat and stuff but that’s not the majority of it.
  • A collecting game/hoard game, Top Down Shooter: You fight off hoards of enemies and then collect or hoard all that you can find, you never know when you will need something, or when something that seems useless and you throw away could have saved you. Make just about everything you can pick up and use useful in someway let it have a special effect or maybe have an event where you come across a group that is looking for something and if you don’t give it to them they’ll kill you, and then you’ll have to fight them. The main goal is to make it through all of the days surviving, collecting, and hoarding.
  • 3D Tower Defense: Like most tower defense games you have something you have to defend but there will be another level of complexity and difficulty, instead of playing on a flat field and placing towers we’ll add geography, hills, banks, rivers, things that can hinder not only the player but the enemies as well. Allow the player to build the environment up or destroy it so that they can use it to there advantage, make the enemies take the easiest path, add another strategy to the game genre, maybe also incorporate line of sight so if the towers don’t have line of sight they can’t attack, stuff like that.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION